Friday, May 18, 2012

Sun and Rain - Family style

OK, so I am blogging for a second time this week. I have to do this in honor of the sun and rain in my life...Heather and Jen. Jen, you really aren't rain, but I trust you will understand!

Let me begin by saying that I have a biological sister that is my best friend. She is always there anytime I need her. She and I have very different personalities...she is like my Dad and I am more like my Mom. In fact, my husband calls me RJ (Rose Junior) because he claims I am just like my Mom. So, when I am having a RJ moment, I know that my sister will be able to rationalize with me. However, I also know that when I need to be passive-aggressive (PA), my sister can hang with me better than the rest of them. With all that said, I always thought I really wouldn't care if I never had a sister-in-law. Then I married Josh and with that came sister-in-laws. I have three sister-in-laws, but for the purpose of this blog, I will be picking on two of them!!

I will begin with Jen. She lives in another state and I don't see her often, but she is one of the funniest people I have ever met. She has a dry sense of humor and she makes me laugh every time I am around her. She is a very sweet person and when you are with her in a group, she is pretty quiet. Little did I know, she is just soaking in what is going on around her...soaking and assessing. As you get close to her, and she is comfortable with you, there is a side that comes out that you would never believe was there. I thought the only person in the world that could understand my PA was my sister...until I met Jen. This is my favorite quality about Jen and I know that I can say whatever I want about someone or something...and she could easily top it! So over the years she has become a confidant of mine. I can call her, IM her, text her...and be the biggest brat...and she doesn't care. She won't judge me and if I am lucky, she will join me! What I found is she is probably more passive-aggressive (which we diagnosed together) than me. Can you imagine my happiness when I found this out about her?? How could I have been so lucky to have her end up being my sister-in-law?? Together, I think we are easily the "rain" of the family and that could not make us happier!

Then there is Heather. Oh Heather, our little positive ray of sunshine. Imagine Jen and I as "rain" and then there is our sunny Heather! Jen and I always know that if we act like ourselves around Heather, she will always interject with the ray of sunshine. Heather is, hands down, one of the happiest, most positive people I have ever met. I don't think I heard her say a bad thing about anything or anyone for the first 5 years that I knew her. Heather will never admit it, but I can only imagine what she was actually thinking about Jen and me! We must have been the worst possible pair she could have been stuck with for sister-in-laws! We are not sunny and positive all the time, so this must have been incredibly difficult for Heather!! Luckily for us, Heather's husband can be a lot like Jen and me, so that help wear Heather down over the years!  Anyway, I used to worry about what Heather would think. I would try to be on my best behavior, be "Positive Polly" with her when we were together and try to always think happy thoughts. Then one day I decided that wasn't fun and I would just be me. Since then, I give Heather a hard time about everything! It's in a nice way (or so I think), but while she is being sunny, I am there to "rain" on her parade. She is my favorite person to tease because she takes it. Just check out her Hawaii pictures on Facebook. I made comment after comment. I made so many comments that her other "friends" on FB asked her who I was and why I was so mean to her! I found this to be super funny!  I wish I could of heard Heather trying to explain/defend me to her friends. Makes me laugh thinking about it!!  Poor girl!

So, this teasing was a lot of fun for me for many years...until lately. Which is why I am writing this post today. I think Heather has decided she is ready to dish it back to me. In the last month or so, she has started posting "pictures" on my wall. Let me share with you what I have received and what her explanation was for sharing it with me:


From Heather on my FB wall: "I'm not sending this to you because I think it's true...I just think it seems like something you want to pass along to someone else!"


Again, from Heather: "I'm not saying you can't cook or clean...all I'm saying is I thought of you when I saw this :)"



What do you think friends? I sense a little passive-aggressiveness in these posts. Is it possible? If I received this from Jen, I would laugh and move on. But Heather?? This is not the usual for our sunny little Heather! I will be honest though...I like it. No, I love it!! I knew there was a side of Heather that could be a little PA, tease and make fun! It just took a little "rain" to bring it out! 

I love these two girls and I wouldn't change them for anything. BUT...if we can get Heather to be a little passive aggressive at times, it just makes family time that much more fun...at lease for Jen and me!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahah!!! Oh that is so funny! I guess after 10 years I am finally able to dish it back! :) just wait what another 10 years is going to do to me!?! You will have created a monster! Just so you know, I love having you as my sister in law!

    ReplyDelete